Gem has two methods for syncing email and SMS activity back to Greenhouse: Automatic Email & SMS Activity Sync and BCC Greenhouse Maildrop.
Automatic Email & SMS Activity Sync
If you send us your Greenhouse admin key, we can enable automatic syncing.
- Gem syncs all emails sent through Gem sequences, and candidate replies to those sequences.
- Gem syncs SMS activity (SMS sequences and one-offs).
To enable Email and SMS Activity Sync with Greenhouse, please reach out to your team's dedicated Gem CSM or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
How the Sync Works
Gem has built an integration with Greenhouse that allows us to sync email and SMS activity to Prospects and candidates to the candidate's activity feed in Greenhouse.
We recommend mentioning this to the whole team, since all private communication with candidates will start getting written to the Greenhouse activity feed as public notes, visible to everyone with access to that candidate in Greenhouse (usually including the candidate’s interviewers).
What Emails are Synced to Greenhouse
Our logic for deciding which emails and SMS activity to sync is pretty complicated, but to summarize the most common cases:
- All outbound sequences sent with Gem
- First reply to a Gem sequence
- All subsequent messages from the sequence's email thread
We automatically send a Gem Bot email for any thread that is being synced with Greenhouse, as a reminder that the thread is being synced.
Pausing Email Sync for a Candidate
You can pause email sync for a candidate by looking at the threaded Gem Bot email and pressing the 'link' to stop the sync. This will only work for the individual candidate and not for everyone you email.
If you would like to turn off Gem automatic email sync to Greenhouse, talk to your Gem team admin.
What SMS Activity is Synced to Greenhouse
Gem will sync any SMS messages sent or received through a user's Gem-specific virtual phone number. Generally that happens in:
- One-off SMS messages to candidates
- SMS messages sent through Gem sequences
- Candidate replies to these SMS messages
BCC Greenhouse Maildrop
- Greenhouse automatically sync all outgoing messages sent in this sequence if there's a Greenhouse profile with an email address that matches the recipient's email address.
- If the recipients email address is not in Greenhouse, Greenhouse creates an empty profile for you, so make sure to upload each candidate to Greenhouse before sending your sequence using the BCC field.
- Candidate replies cannot be tracked using the BCC field.
- Note that updating the default BCC setting in your Gem Settings only affects new sequences (you'll have to update existing sequences manually). Also note that editing the BCC setting on sequences only affects recipients added to the sequence after the setting change.
Have any issues or questions on this topic? Please feel free to contact your dedicated Gem Customer Success Manager directly or our Support team at email@example.com.